Monday, December 5, 2011

A Win is a Win, Right?

A win is a win, right? Or are there good wins and bad wins? After yesterday, I have to say, I believe there are good wins and bad wins ~ with yesterday being a bad win...

Zach's team had a league game at home against the Tri-City Eagles. League games are always contentious and played with passion. I went into yesterday's game knowing it would be chippy and hard fought. Our team and Tri-City are both neck and neck for the fourth seed in the league so it was going to be a tough game.

What I saw yesterday, though, left me with a really bad taste in my mouth...both players and parents behaved in a less than decorous manner ~ on both teams. I walked away from that game shaking my head.

I watched the play of the game go from chippy to shitty in a heartbeat and then back again. I watched our players taunt their players after penalties were called. I watched their players wrap their arms around the necks of our players and throw punches. These are 15 and 16 year old boys...they are not in the NHL nor are they playing for the Stanley Cup. Where were the refs, you may ask ~ I have to tell you, I don't know. They were standing there but they must not have been watching the same game I was watching.

Some of the parents were no better, but this time I can say with absolute honesty that I did not join them. I stayed quiet and watched them make spectacles of themselves without any help from me.

Parents from the other team positioned themselves right behind our goalie and screamed obscenities at the refs, our goalie and other parents. When one of our parents told them to cool it with the F-Bombs they were dropping our parent was told in no uncertain terms to "mind your own business, Snookie." Charming. Some of our parents were not much better. When a Tri-City parent rebuked the ref for being late with the whistle or late with the call they said "Too late, ref ~ too late!" Two of our parents decided it would be a good idea to taunt them and could be heard throughout the rink parroting the Tri-City parent in a mocking tone. Charming.

Our boys pulled out a win but was it a good win? I think it was a win by less stellar means. All sides were at fault. The refs did not keep control of the game. The kids didn't keep their emotions in check. The parents didn't keep control of their mouths.

I'm not saying every kid behaved abominally the entire game. There were moments of lucidity and kindness. Zach said not every kid on the other team was a douche (yes, he used that word) and he went on to tell me how he and another kid collided on the ice, sending them both down. The other kid came up to Zach, apologized and said he didn't mean for it to happen. Zach said "I don't know if you're kidding," and the kid said "Nah, man I'm serious. I'm sorry." Sportsmanship. There were also moments of lightness and laughter. Upon getting his third penalty of the game, on of our players stood at the door of the "sin bin" and saluted his dad. Humorous. This is a kid who normally doesn't find himself in the penalty box so for him to be heavily penalized was just a bit funny, I thought. When the sportsmanship and humor took over, it was a good game to watch.

I'm not saying every parent behaved poorly either. Most parents behave in a way that is boring to write about. I choose to stand with those parents for a reason. I know myself well enough to know that even under the best of circumstances I can sometimes pop off with a snarky comment to other teams' parents. So I have learned to position myself in-between those who know me well enough to look at me and say "if you keep it up, I am going to go stand somewhere else." Thanks, Lisa! Yesterday, I kept my comments to "Play hockey, boys." (Not that they heard me. They don't even hear me when I yell stupid stuff.) Most of our parents just cheered for our boys with the standard "Let's go Royals!"

I've decided I really like being on the side of the fence with the parents who are boring to write about. I can walk away from the game not looking like an idiot and make fun of those who do look like idiots. It's much more fun to write about others who behave badly than have to "confess" my bad hockey-mama behavior! Besides, I want to be a good role model for Claire. I love hearing her deep, raspy voice yelling "GOOOOOO, ROYYY-ALS!!" I don't ever want to her to hear me acting like a fool or worse acting like a fool herself because she has seen me do it. Can you say embarrassing?

When the kids played hockey instead of looking for their next hit it was an amazing game to watch. They passed well, they shot the puck well and they scored like gang-busters. It was the kind of hockey I love to watch. Clean, crisp and passionate about the game with not a worry about when they could find the next big hit.

I love cheering for my boys and their teams. I love watching the game my boys are passionate about playing. I truly love it when they win but I adore it when it's a good win filled with good sportsmanship from the players and parents.

Yesterday's game ended in a win. Our boys worked hard and earned the W but it was a hard win to watch. I'm hoping some of these next games produce easier wins...hint, hint!

But I'll keep going and watching and cheering ~ because, and I confess, I am a hockey mama, through and through!

No comments:

Post a Comment